Positive Train Control (PTC) is defined in federal law as a “system designed to prevent train-to-train collisions, overspeed derailments, incursions into established work zone limits, and the movement of a train through a switch left in the wrong position.” Should the engineer somehow miss the signals shown wayside or on the in-cab display, the PTC system would automatically slow/stop the train, or switch it to a side track in an emergency.
The Rail Safety Improvement Act (RSIA) of 2008 mandates the implementation of PTC by December 31, 2015 on all main lines that carry passengers or hazardous materials, and on all locomotives that operate on those lines. To meet these safety-critical requirements, rail operators need a robust, reliable on-board wireless back-up. Also, the RSIA requires that all PTC systems be interoperable so that any railroad’s locomotive can operate on any other railroad’s track using the same signaling and control systems.
With the Digi TransPort® WR44 RR, Digi delivers a fault-tolerant communications network to support signaling between the locomotives, waysides and back office. This rugged router, designed specifically for rail applications, is housed within the waysides and sends track-side sensor readings and relay settings over fiber-optic and cellular links simultaneously, enabling operators to make decisions based on track conditions and track switch positions. Within the locomotive, the Digi router connects onboard control systems to the back office via the cellular link and to the waysides via the co-located 220 MHz radio. Management of any of the locomotive control and communications systems is accomplished remotely using the cellular link or onboard using the router’s built-in Wi-Fi access point.
- Centralized onboard level 3 routing protected by stateful firewall, IPSec and more
- Fault tolerant, highly available communications to wayside sensors, switches and signals
- Redundant high speed cellular link alongside 220 MHz radio for rail vehicles
- GPS-based position, direction and speed of rail vehicles delivered by radio and cellular
- Secure remote access to onboard systems, monitored using SNMPv3 and/or Device Cloud by Etherios™
More about Digi TransPort WR44 RR
The Digi TransPort WR44 RR router is purpose-built, cellular, enterprise class router for the rail industry and is designed to be mounted onboard locomotives or any other rail vehicles. It meets all the requirements for AREMA C & H, EN50155, and AAR S-5702 and is equipped with an advanced routing, security and firewall feature set including stateful firewall inspection and integrated VPN.
- Heavy-duty enclosure and connectors designed for high shock and vibration environments
- Enterprise-class routing, VPN and firewall capabilities
- Data security via encryption, message integrity and authentication
- Optional integrated 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi access point
- Dual SIM for carrier redundancy
- Cellular to Wi-Fi autoswitch
- Full on-board train certs including AREMA C/H and EN50155
- Digi’s remote management solutions include software or web application for easy setup, configuration and maintenance