The Rabbit RIO chip offers both I/O expansion and peripheral features that easily integrate into new or existing designs. It interfaces to any microcontroller with an available SPI or parallel port. Multiple peripheral features offer a distinct advantage for motor control applications. The Rabbit RIO simply takes the load off the processor, making it ideal for applications with demanding networking requirements.
The RIO Programmable I/O Kit demonstrates how to expand an embedded control system design by adding additional I/O, timing and other features. The kit is built around the Rabbit RIO® I/O chip, which is a peripheral device designed to be incorporated into systems requiring versatile timing controls and a broad range of functionality. The included RIO chip comes preinstalled on a prototyping board with configurable header locations to allow you to develop your own applications using Dynamic C® and the included sample programs.
The Rabbit RIO is also ideal for machine control applications. I/Os are 5V tolerant, which also includes pin-pair protection for applications such as H-bridge drivers. Since multiple status bits are set from a single match register, pins are easily configurable for higher drive current operations. The same signal could be output on multiple pins for applications that require a higher current. It also provides push pull protection for sink and source drivers.
Application Kit Contents
The RIO Programmable I/O Kit contains the following items:
- Rabbit RIO prototyping board
- RabbitCore® RCM4110 module
- Dynamic C software CD
- Supplemental CD with sample programs and reference material
- Universal AC adapter and 10-pin header to DB9 programming cable
- Jumpers and jumper wires for use on the prototyping board
Included with the RIO Programmable I/O Kit are several sample programs that were developed around the Rabbit RIO prototyping board and the RabbitCore® RCM4110 module:
- EVENT_COUNTER.C – Demonstrates the event counter functionality.
- INPUT_CAPTURE.C – Demonstrates the input capture functionality.
- PIN_PAIR.C – Demonstrates the pin-pair protection functionality.
- QDECODE.C – Demonstrates the quadrature decoder functionality.
- SIMPLEIO.C – Demonstrates the parallel I/O functionality.
- SYNC.C – Demonstrates the forced increment, decrement, and synch functionality.
What Else You Will Need
Besides what is supplied with the RIO Programmable I/O kit, you will need a PC with an available COM or USB port to program the RCM4110 included with the kit.