This article explains how to upgrade the firmware on a Digi TransPort or Sarian router using Flashwriter.
Please note that upgrading the firmware using Flashwriter will erase any existing configuration files on the router.
1) Download and install Flashwriter
2) Obtain the latest Flashwriter firmware zip file, which can be found at one of the following links depending on your model:
Digi TransPort Flashwriter files
Sarian Flashwriter files
It is very important that the correct firmware file is used for the model number being upgraded. If you attempt to load firmware designed for one model onto a different model the router may cease to function and will be difficult to recover.
To locate the correct firmware for your model, after clicking on a link above, select the subdirectory containing the version you wish to download (the newest version is recommended) then the subdirectory relating to your model. Select the zip file to download it. The format of the file name is as follows:
<model name>-<firmware version>.zip
As an example, the file called WR44-5162.zip
is firmware for the WR44 model and is firmware version 5.162.
3) Extract all of the files, from the downloaded zip archive, to a directory on your PC.
4) Close any other programs that are running on your PC.
5) Run the Flashwriter program that was installed in step 1).
6) Connect the LAN 0 port of the router to the local Ethernet network, unless the model appears in the list below, in which case please use the specified LAN port. If you are connecting the router to your PC 'directly' via Ethernet (i.e. not via a local network) please ensure that a (non-manaaged) switch is connected between the router and PC.
Model Port Number
VC7400 LAN 4
VC5100 LAN 1
MW3520 LAN 1
7) The TFTP firmware load takes place via Ethernet. However, Flashwriter can establish initial contact with the router either via the serial port or via Ethernet. The Ethernet option is provided because it is more convenient, but please note that the Ethernet option does not work in all circumstances:
- Some older products do not support Ethernet
- Some older bootloaders do not support Ethernet
- If the firmware on the unit is badly corrupted, Ethernet may not work
If you choose to establish initial contact via RS232 serial:
- Connect the asynchronous serial port of the router to a free communications port on your PC via an RS232 straight-through serial cable
- Select the correct serial communications port in Flashwriter using the 'Communications port number/Interface' drop down list
If you choose to establish initial contact via Ethernet:
- Select 'Eth' as the 'Communications port number/Interface' in Flashwriter, which is the last entry in the drop down list
8) On the main Flashwriter screen, ensure that:
- The 'Configure only' check box is NOT ticked
- The 'Use event driven mode' check box IS ticked
- The 'Use Xmodem 1K' check box is NOT ticked
- The 'Use TFTP' check box IS ticked
9) Click the 'Load' button. In the case of loading via 'Eth', you will be prompted for the serial number of the router.
10) Click 'Yes' when prompted with a warning, then select the '.all file' that you extracted from the zip file earlier.
11) Follow any instructions that Flashwriter provides.