The following procedure will show you how to reduce the USB transfer sizes and latency timing. While these instructions are specifically for USB devices that use FTDI Chip components, it's likely that similar options would be present on other USB to Serial adapters that are also experiencing communication problems.
This guide assumes you have a Digi USB interface board (XBIB-U, XIB-U, XTIB-U) plugged into the computer and that the appropriate drivers have been installed.
1. Go to the Windows Device Manager
a. Click on the Start / Windows button
b. Find My Computer (Windows XP, 2000) or Computer (Windows 7, Vista)
c. Right-Click on My Computer / Computer
d. Select Manage
2. Select Device Manager from the left-hand column
3. Find the Port (COM & LPT) section in the right-hand column and expand it
4. Find and Right-Click on the USB Serial Port (this can be named a number of things, make sure it is the correct one for your radio)
5. Select Properties
6. Click on the Port Settings tab
7. Click on Advanced
Change the following:
8a. Receive (Bytes): from 4096 to 64
8b. Transmit (Bytes): from 4096 to 64
9. Latency Timer (msec): Change this to 1
10. Click OK on both windows and close the Device Manager. The driver is now optimized for use with Digi radios.
If the radio you are working with appears to be unresponsive after performing the above steps, you may need to perform a recovery. Please use the following link to go to our comprehensive recovery guide:
Recovery procedure for Digi RF products