2) Assemble the Parts
To connect a lamp to the internet via Digi Remote Manager, you’ll need:
- 2 Digi XBee 802.15.4 Radios
- Access to a web server with PHP – There are many inexpensive web hosting plans out there and even the cheapest ones are usually PHP-enabled. Your internet service provider may even offer hosting service. If you’re only interested in controlling your lamp from your local network, you can setup a computer with a web server to host the script.
- A Digi Remote Manager account – it’s free!
- PowerSwitch Tail II – You can use the previous version if it’s all you have, but it will require more circuitry to actuate the relay.
- Hookup wire – We’ll be using a spool of two conductor wire to connect the PowerSwitch Tail to our circuit.
- Small, flat-head screwdriver
- Jumper cables
- XBee Breakout Board – for your circuit.
- XBee Explorer USB – for programming your radios and for the Digi XBee Internet Gateway
- USB A to Mini-B Cable.
- A DC power source, 2.8 – 3.3V – For this build, we’ll be using two C batteries in a battery holder from Radio Shack. You’ll probably want to find a plug-in DC power source so that you can leave it plugged in and powered on.