Focus on Profitability Results in 43% Increase in Income from Continuing Operations for FY16 compared to FY15
(Minneapolis, MN, October 27, 2016) - Digi International® Inc. (NASDAQ: DGII), the M2M solutions expert, reported its fourth fiscal quarter and full year 2016 financials.
The financial highlights for the fourth fiscal quarter and year ended September 30, 2016 include:
- Revenue for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2016 was $50.5 million compared to revenue for the fourth fiscal quarter of fiscal 2015 of $54.2 million. Revenue for fiscal 2016 was $203.0 million compared to revenue for fiscal 2015 of $203.8 million.
- Net income for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2016 was $3.8 million, or $0.14 per diluted share, compared to net income for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2015 of $3.0 million, or $0.12 per diluted share. Income from continuing operations for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2016 was $3.8 million, or $0.14 per diluted share, compared to $3.7 million, or $0.14 per diluted share, in the prior year comparable quarter. Income from continuing operations was $13.5 million in fiscal 2016, or $0.51 per diluted share, compared to $9.4 million, or $0.37 per diluted share, in fiscal 2015. Income from continuing operations increased by 42.9% for the fiscal year 2016 compared to fiscal 2015.
- Adjusted EBITDA from Continuing Operations (Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation and Amortization, adjusted for gain from insurance recovery) in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2016 was $5.9 million, or 11.8% of total revenue, compared to $6.5 million, or 11.9% of total revenue, in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2015. For the full fiscal year 2016, Adjusted EBITDA from Continuing Operations was $21.0 million, or 10.4% of total revenue, compared to $16.9 million, or 8.3% of total revenue in fiscal 2015. Adjusted EBITDA increased by 24.6% for fiscal year 2016 compared to fiscal 2015. Please see Reconciliation of Income from Continuing Operations to Adjusted EBITDA from Continuing Operations later in this earnings release.
- Cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities were $137.7 million at September 30, 2016 an increase of $31.9 million from the end of the prior fiscal year.
"We're pleased with our fiscal 2016 results, particularly with our strong profit and cash generation. One of our goals is to improve our consistency of performance," said Ron Konezny, President and Chief Executive Officer. "We are working hard to simplify and scale the business which helped us achieve our double digit EBITDA goal. We will continue to focus on our three key priorities, which include maintaining a consistently profitable business model, generating top line revenue growth, and building a hardware-enabled solutions business," continued Mr. Konezny.
Below is a table setting forth certain GAAP and non-GAAP results:
Our cellular product category includes cellular routers and all gateways, and the RF product category includes XBee® modules as well as other RF Solutions. The embedded product category includes Digi Connect® and Rabbit® embedded systems on module and single board computers. The network product category, which has the highest concentration of mature products, includes console and serial servers and USB connected products. Our service offerings include wireless design services and cold chain solutions along with revenue generated from the enterprise support services and Digi Device Cloud platform.
Total revenue was $50.5 million in fourth fiscal quarter of 2016 compared to $54.2 million in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2015.
- Product revenue decreased by $3.9 million, or 7.4%, in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2016 compared to the fourth fiscal quarter of 2015. This decrease was driven primarily by lower sales of cellular routers and gateways and RF products. Cellular routers and gateways revenue decreased by $3.7 million, or 22.6%, compared to the fourth fiscal quarter of 2015. Cellular router and gateway revenue is driven by large awards-based customer projects and is subject to revenue fluctuations from quarter to quarter. RF revenue decreased by $2.2 million, or 23.2% as a result of lower sales to significant customers in the solar energy market. These decreases were partially offset by an increase in revenue from embedded products. Embedded revenue increased as a result of significant customers moving to production of their products that use our modules.
- Service revenue increased by $0.2 million, or 9.4%, in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2016 compared to the comparable quarter in fiscal 2015, primarily due to incremental revenue of Cold Chain Solutions as a result of our acquisition of Bluenica Corporation in October 2015.
Gross profit was $24.6 million, or 48.8% of revenue in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2016 compared to $26.3 million, or 48.6% of revenue in the same period of the prior year, a decrease of $1.7 million. The decrease in gross profit was primarily driven by reduced revenue in our cellular routers and gateways and RF product categories. This was offset partially by manufacturing cost reductions on certain products across product categories.
Operating income for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2016 was $5.0 million, or 10.0% of revenue, as compared to an operating income of $5.3 million or 9.8% of revenue, for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2015. Operating income decreased by $0.3 million in comparison to the same period in the prior fiscal year. This was a result of a decrease in gross profit of $1.7 million as described above offset by a decrease in operating expenses of $1.4 million.
Income from Continuing Operations was $3.8 million in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2016, or $0.14 per diluted share, compared to $3.7 million, or $0.14 per diluted share, in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2015.
Loss from Discontinued Operations, after income taxes was $0.7 million, or $0.03 loss per diluted share, in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2015. This represents the loss associated with our Etherios business in the year ago fourth fiscal quarter. As previously disclosed, we sold our Etherios business on October 23, 2015.
Adjusted EBITDA from Continuing Operations in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2016 was $5.9 million, or 11.8% of total revenue, compared to $6.5 million, or 11.9% of total revenue, in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2015.
Please refer to the tables later in this earnings release that provide reconciliations from GAAP to non-GAAP information.
Business Results for the Twelve Months Ended September 30, 2016 and 2015
Total revenue decreased 0.4% to $203.0 million in fiscal 2016 from $203.8 million in fiscal 2015.
- Product revenue increased by $0.6 million, or 0.3%, in fiscal 2016 compared to fiscal 2015. This increase was driven primarily by embedded and network products, as certain significant legacy customers continued to purchase these products. This increase was offset by the decrease in sales of cellular routers and gateways.
- Service revenue decreased by $1.4 million, or 17.3%, in fiscal 2016 compared to fiscal 2015, primarily due to lower revenue in wireless design services, partially offset by incremental revenue from Digi Cold Chain Solutions.
- Included in our revenue performance for the year was a foreign currency translation decrease of $1.1 million when compared to the same period in the prior fiscal year and was primarily caused by the weakening of the Euro and British Pound against the U.S. dollar.
Gross profit was $99.7 million, or 49.1% of revenue in fiscal 2016 compared to $97.1 million, or 47.6% of revenue in the prior fiscal year, an increase of $2.6 million. The increase in gross profit was driven primarily by strong revenue performance in our network category which traditionally has higher margin products, as well as manufacturing cost reductions.
Operating income for fiscal 2016 was $17.1 million, or 8.4% of revenue, as compared to an operating income of $10.9 million or 5.3% of revenue, for fiscal 2015. Operating income increased by $6.2 million as a result of an increase in gross profit of $2.6 million as described above and a decrease in operating expenses of $3.6 million. Operating income for fiscal 2016 included restructuring expenses of $0.8 million primarily pertaining to our corporate staff and related employee termination costs associated with the merging of our Dortmund, Germany office into our Munich, Germany office and our consolidation of our Minneapolis office into our Minnetonka headquarters, which included lease termination charges for our downtown Minneapolis office.
Income from Continuing Operations was $13.5 million in fiscal 2016, or $0.51 per diluted share, compared to $9.4 million, or $0.37 per diluted share, in fiscal 2015. Adjusted income from continuing operations was $12.9 million in fiscal 2016, or $0.49 per diluted share, compared to adjusted income from continuing operations of $8.3 million in fiscal 2015, or $0.33 per diluted share.
Income (Loss) from Discontinued Operations, after income taxes was income of $3.2 million in fiscal 2016, or $0.12 per diluted share, compared to a loss from discontinued operations, after income taxes of $2.8 million, or $0.11 loss per diluted share, in fiscal 2015. Digi sold its Etherios business in October 2015 to West Monroe Partners, which resulted in an after tax gain on sale, of $3.3 million, or $0.13 per diluted share.
Adjusted EBITDA from Continuing Operations in fiscal 2016 was $21.0 million, or 10.4% of total revenue, compared to $16.9 million, or 8.3% of total revenue, in fiscal 2015.
Please refer to the tables later in this earnings release that provide reconciliations from GAAP to non-GAAP information.
Balance Sheet, Liquidity and Capital Structure
We continue to maintain a strong balance sheet, highlighted by:
- Our cash and cash equivalents and marketable securities balance, including long-term marketable securities, was $137.7 million at September 30, 2016, an increase of $6.2 million from the end of the third quarter 2016 and an increase of $31.9 million over the comparable balance at the end of our fiscal year 2015. Please refer to the Condensed Consolidated Statements of Cash Flows for more information.
- Inventory was $26.3 million at September 30, 2016, a decrease of $5.6 million over the comparable balance at September 30, 2015.
- We had no debt on the balance sheet as of September 30, 2016.
- At September 30, 2016, our current ratio was 8.2 to 1 compared to 6.9 to 1 at September 30, 2015.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, NOAA, purchased several hundred Digi Passport® console servers for the NEXRAD Weather Surveillance Radar (WSR) program. The Passports transmit time-critical meteorological information originating from NEXRAD Radars. Previously, NOAA installed Digi cellular routers for wireless backup communications between the Radars and National Weather Service (NWS) Weather Forecast Offices (WFOs).
NEC New Zealand, a subsidiary of the Japanese technology corporation NEC, has selected Digi XBee® RF modules and Digi ConnectCore® 6 Single Board Computer (CC6) for its sensing platform for smart cities, the Kite Flexible Sensing Platform. Kite enables a city to implement any sensor, in any location, to measure data. NEC New Zealand is in the process of deploying 100 of Digi ConnectCore 6 SBCs and Digi XBee modules in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington as part of proof-of-concept projects.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
Share Repurchase Program
On April 26, 2016, our Board of Directors authorized a new program to repurchase up to $15.0 million of our common stock primarily to return capital to shareholders. This new repurchase authorization expires on May 1, 2017. Shares repurchased under the new program may be made through open market and privately negotiated transactions from time to time and in amounts that management deems appropriate. The amount and timing of share repurchases, if any, will depend upon market conditions and other corporate considerations. There were no repurchases in fiscal 2016.
Fiscal 2017 Guidance
For the first fiscal quarter of 2017, we project revenue to be in a range of $45 million to $48 million. We project income per diluted share from continuing operations to be in a range of $0.06 to $0.08 for the first fiscal quarter of 2017.
For the full fiscal year 2017, we project revenue to be in a range of $200 million to $210 million. Digi projects income per diluted share from continuing operations to be in a range of $0.38 to $0.46.
Fourth Fiscal Quarter and Year-End 2016 Conference Call Details
As announced on October 6, 2016, Digi will discuss its fourth fiscal quarter and year-end results on a conference call on Thursday, October 27, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. EDT (4:00 p.m. CDT). The call will be hosted by Ron Konezny, President and Chief Executive Officer and Mike Goergen, Chief Financial Officer.
We invite all those interested in hearing management's discussion of its quarter and full year to access a live webcast of the conference call through the investor relations section of Digi's website at www.digi.com. Participants may also join the call directly by dialing (855) 638-5675 and entering passcode 93493957. International participants may access the call by dialing (262) 912-4765 and entering passcode 93493957. A replay will be available within approximately three hours after the completion of the call, and for one week following the call, by dialing (855) 859-2056 for domestic participants or (404) 537-3406 for international participants and entering access code 93493957 when prompted. A replay of the webcast will be available for one week through Digi's website.
A copy of this earnings release can be accessed through the financial releases page of the investor relations section of Digi's website at www.digi.com.
For more news and information on Digi International Inc., please visit www.digi.com/aboutus/investorrelations.
About Digi International
Digi International (NASDAQ: DGII) is the M2M solutions expert, combining products and services as end-to-end solutions to drive business efficiencies. Digi provides the industry’s broadest range of wireless products, a cloud computing platform tailored for devices and development services to help customers get to market fast with wireless devices and applications. Digi's entire solution set is tailored to allow any device to communicate with any application, anywhere in the world. For more information, visit Digi's website at www.digi.com, or call 877-912-3444 (U.S.) or 952-912-3444 (International).
This press release contains forward-looking statements that are based on management’s current expectations and assumptions. These statements often can be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "looking forward," "may," "will," "expect," "plan," "project," "should," or "continue" or the negative thereof or other variations thereon or similar terminology. Among other items, these statements relate to expectations of the business environment in which the company operates, projections of future performance, perceived marketplace opportunities and statements regarding our mission and vision. Such statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve certain risks, uncertainties and assumptions. Among others, these include risks related to the highly competitive market in which our company operates, rapid changes in technologies that may displace products sold by us, declining prices of networking products, our reliance on distributors and other third parties to sell our products, delays in product development efforts, uncertainty in user acceptance of our products, the ability to integrate our products and services with those of other parties in a commercially accepted manner, potential liabilities that can arise if any of our products have design or manufacturing defects, our ability to defend or settle satisfactorily any litigation, uncertainty in global economic conditions and economic conditions within particular regions of the world which could negatively affect product demand and the financial solvency of customers and suppliers, the impact of natural disasters and other events beyond our control that could negatively impact our supply chain and customers, potential unintended consequences associated with restructuring or other similar business initiatives that may impact our ability to retain important employees, the ability to achieve the anticipated benefits and synergies associated with acquisitions or divestitures, and changes in our level of revenue or profitability which can fluctuate for many reasons beyond our control. These and other risks, uncertainties and assumptions identified from time to time in our filings with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission, including without limitation, our annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended September 30, 2015 and subsequent quarterly reports on Form 10-Q and other filings, could cause the company's future results to differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements made by us or on our behalf. Many of such factors are beyond our ability to control or predict. These forward-looking statements speak only as of the date for which they are made. We disclaim any intent or obligation to update any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
Presentation of Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This release includes adjusted income from continuing operations, adjusted income per diluted share from continuing operations, and adjusted EBITDA from continuing operations, each of which is a non-GAAP measure.
We understand that there are material limitations on the use of non-GAAP measures. Non-GAAP measures are not substitutes for GAAP measures, such as net income, for the purpose of analyzing financial performance. The disclosure of these measures does not reflect all charges and gains that were actually recognized by the company. These non-GAAP measures are not in accordance with, or an alternative for measures prepared in accordance with, generally accepted accounting principles and may be different from non-GAAP measures used by other companies. In addition, these non-GAAP measures are not based on any comprehensive set of accounting rules or principles. We believe that non-GAAP measures have limitations in that they do not reflect all of the amounts associated with our results of operations as determined in accordance with GAAP and that these measures should only be used to evaluate our results of operations in conjunction with the corresponding GAAP measures. Additionally, we understand that adjusted EBITDA from continuing operations does not reflect our cash expenditures, the cash requirements for the replacement of depreciated and amortized assets, or changes in or cash requirements for our working capital needs.
We believe that providing historical and adjusted income and income per diluted share from continuing operations, respectively, exclusive of such items as reversals of tax reserves, gains from insurance recoveries, and discrete tax benefits and restructuring permits investors to compare results with prior periods that did not include these items. Management uses the aforementioned non-GAAP measures to monitor and evaluate ongoing operating results and trends and to gain an understanding of our comparative operating performance. In addition, certain of our stockholders have expressed an interest in seeing financial performance measures exclusive of the impact of matters such as the impact of decisions related to taxes and restructuring, which while important, are not central to the core operations of our business. Additionally, management believes that the presentation of adjusted EBITDA from continuing operations as a percentage of revenue is useful because it provides a reliable and consistent approach to measuring our performance from year to year and in assessing our performance against that of other companies. We believe this information helps compare operating results and corporate performance exclusive of the impact of our capital structure and the method by which assets were acquired. EBITDA from continuing operations is used as an internal metric for executive compensation, as well as incentive compensation for the rest of the employee base, and it is monitored quarterly for these purposes.
Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer
For more information, visit our Web site at www.digi.com, or call 877-912-3444 (U.S.) or 952-912-3444 (International).