Home/Support/Support Forum/PoE on DigiConnect ME 9210
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

PoE on DigiConnect ME 9210

0 votes
From the Knowledge base:

With regard to the 802.11af (Power Over Ethernet) specification, do the Connect EM and ME families support end or mid-span PoE?

First one should clarify what is meant by mid and end-span.

Mid-span: +48VDC is delivered across the Ethernet cable using the unused pins (4, 5, 7 & 8).
End-span: +48VDC is delivered on on the same pins used for data (1,2,3 and 6).

The Connect ME supports only mid-span.

The Connect ME 9210 supports both mid-span & end-span.

The Connect EM module, itself, does not provide any support for PoE. However, using the version of the module with no onboard Ethernet connector (P/N DC-EM-02T-NC) a full PoE implementation is possible. The EM development board, however, only provides support for mid-span.

Does this mean that the pins VETH+ AND VETH- are the CT pins combined from both the end-span pins (12,3, & 6) and mid-span pins (4,5,7 & 8)?

On the development board & PoE schematics there's a 4 pin connector going to the PoE board but I see only the 2 pins (VETH+ & VETH-) connected to it. If I were to do something similar on one board could I then leave out the other two connections with the extra diode bridge?

Thanks
asked Jul 6, 2012 in Linux by drakes New to the Community (0 points)
recategorized Dec 4, 2013 by tuxembb

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes
Refer http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/30006001-06revA.pdf page 3.
You can see that only 2 pins (VETH+ & VETH-) are used on dev board. You can leave other connections......
answered Jul 18, 2012 by bobthomas13 Seasoned Professional (182 points)
0 votes
Hi bobthomas13, I have a similar question to the one asked by drakes. Perhaps it is the same question. Regardless, the question I have is not answered by your response to drake's question.

Since it seems as though you have some knowledge on this detail, could I please ask you to review the support question I posted to the forum here:

http://forums.digi.com/support/forum/viewthread_thread,14007

I would appreciate any comments that you may have.
answered Dec 15, 2012 by csabak New to the Community (5 points)