Home/Support/Support Forum/Format of ethernet packets sent over serial UART using Digi Connect Me
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Format of ethernet packets sent over serial UART using Digi Connect Me

0 votes
Hi,

I am using the Digi Connect Me and it is converting serial UART data to ethernet packets. Is there any documentation on the format of the ethernet packets sent over serial UART? I need to understand exactly how data is sent.
asked Dec 10, 2012 in Plug N' Play by aldainew New to the Community (5 points)
recategorized Dec 4, 2013 by tuxembb

Please log in or register to answer this question.

3 Answers

0 votes
Is this DEL or NET+OS module? Digi Connect ME or ME 9210?
What are you trying to achieve? OS will handle Ethernet packet formatting stuff usually
answered Jan 1, 2013 by tuxembb Veteran of the Digi Community (288 points)
0 votes
Quote:
Is this DEL or NET+OS module? Digi Connect ME or ME 9210?

Hi there,

It is NOT the custom NET+OS module. I am using the DC-ME-01T-S. This device is the Digi Connect ME, with no JTAG and uses the Digi Plug and Play firmware.
Quote:
What are you trying to achieve? OS will handle Ethernet packet formatting stuff usually

I am writing a QT C++ application that will receive data sent over the ethernet from this device using the serial port. The C++ application will also send data to this device over the LAN/ethernet, to be received on the serial port. Thus I want to achieve full duplex communications, serial->ethernet and ethernet -> serial using QT C++.

I need to know when I send information from the serial to the device, what exactly is the structure of the constructed ethernet packet that it sends, conversely when I send data to the device over ethernet, how do I achieve this, and what structure should I format the ethernet message, so that I can receive it serially.

I am using WireShark to view ethernet data.

Thanks for your help, in advance..
answered Jan 8, 2013 by aldainew New to the Community (5 points)
0 votes
Ok. So you want to send data to and fro module and C++ application.
Best method is configure Digi Connect ME's serial port in TCP Sockets/ UDP Sockets profile.

Now you can open/read/write a socket in C++ application onto a port which Digi Connect ME can opt. You can configure Digi Connect ME using its web interface.

This is pretty eay to achieve, You can have a server and client on the same port on Digi Connect ME. Make your C++ application to read and write onto that port which will be forwarded to serial port.

so what ever you send from C++ will be delivered onto serial port and whatevert you give to serial port will be delivered to C++ application.
answered Jan 15, 2013 by tuxembb Veteran of the Digi Community (288 points)