Home/Support/Support Forum/Ubuntu Linux and Edgeport/416
New and improved user forum site going live on 12/6 (All users will need to reset their password when the new forum is active)
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Ubuntu Linux and Edgeport/416

0 votes
Just got shiny new servers and shiny new Edgeports/416 yesterday. Installed Ubuntu Lucid (10.4 LTS) on the servers

Just plugging in the Edgeports manages to produce 4 of the 16 serial ports as /dev/ttyUSB0-3, which is a start. Unplugging and plugging back in makes all 16 appear. However, after a reboot, there are only 4 again. Since these are going to be installed remotely, without an easy way to unplug after a reboot, this is most annoying.

Is there a fix to this?

Thanks

Chris
asked Aug 3, 2010 in USB Serial by ChrisBeauchamp New to the Community (18 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

33 Answers

0 votes
Hello Chris,

What are the 50xxxxxx part numbers and revisions of the Edgeport/416 units in question?

How are these Edgeport/416 units connected to the PC? Are they connected directly to the PC or going through a USB hub or some other kind of extender device? Are any of the Edgeport/416 units daisy chained through each other?

Do all 16 ports ever get produced, or does this same problem happen 100% of the time where only 4 ports get produced?
answered Aug 3, 2010 by jeremym Veteran of the Digi Community (1,687 points)
0 votes
Hi Jeremy,

from the label underneath:

PN: (1P) 50001359-01 C - they're the DB9 variants

They're connected directly into the PC (server), no hubs, no daisy chaining - we've got 2, one each for each server

I get varying numbers of ports... currently sitting at 10, however I have had all 16, but haven't consistently managed to get them all :(

I get firmware upload errors when ports fail - I can post detailed logs if it would be useful. But I've tried various different versions of down3.bin to no avail

Many thanks

Chris
answered Aug 3, 2010 by ChrisBeauchamp New to the Community (18 points)
0 votes
Yes, please post those lots.
0 votes
logs, even.
0 votes
Hi jeremy,

Attached are the logs produced when I unplugged the 416, then plugged it back in - I've ended up with 10 ports active...
0 votes
Hi Jeremy

Another sample - I rebooted the machine with the edgeport unplugged, then, after removing power to it, plugged it back into the power, then the usb.

Thanks

Chris
0 votes
oh - just 4 ports active after this

Chris
0 votes
I will try to re-create this issue and get back with you ASAP.
0 votes
Chris,

Are you using the kernel provided with Ubuntu or a vanilla 2.6.35 kernel?
answered Aug 3, 2010 by userid0 Veteran of the Digi Community (2,158 points)
0 votes
Jeremy: Thanks!

userid0: using ubuntu kernels - I tried the latest one from Maverick to see if it made any difference (which is what I did the tests with), but I get the same behaviour with the latest Lucid kernel (2.6.32, IIRC).