Home/Support/Support Forum/RCM5700 Ethernet connectivity problem
New and improved user forum site going live on 12/6 (All users will need to reset their password when the new forum is active)
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

RCM5700 Ethernet connectivity problem

0 votes
I'm having problem in connecting my rcm5700 to a network. I have tried to connect from the ethernet port of rcm5700 to the internet modem in my house using ethernet cable. However, when I open the network administrator to check the IP address of the rcm5700 I can't find the device there, which means it is not connected to the network.

Can anyone help me with this problem? Is there any specific ethernet cable that I should use? Or is it possible that the ethernet port of the rcm5700 is not working?
asked Feb 5, 2011 in Rabbit by Lin9_Lun9 New to the Community (17 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

32 Answers

0 votes
What app are you running on the RCM5700?

What way have you got TCPCONFIG set?

etc.

We would need some more details to be able to offer any advice.

Regards,
Peter
answered Feb 5, 2011 by petermcs Veteran of the Digi Community (1,132 points)
0 votes
I want to develop some simple data transmitting and receiving between a PC and the rcm5700 through either Internet or LAN. For example, maybe be sending an "ON" word to the rcm5700, the LED of the rcm5700 will light up. Or when the button on rcm5700 module is pressed, it will give notification to the PC that the button is pressed.

I haven't looked at the programming side, as the hardware itself seems not connected to the network. From what I read from the datasheet an LED should light up when it is connected to a network, but in my case no LED light up.
answered Feb 5, 2011 by Lin9_Lun9 New to the Community (17 points)
0 votes
If there is no app running the LEDs do not work as the device is not executing any code. Try running some of the demo apps supplied with Dynamic C or have a look at the RCM5700 BACnet demos at https://sourceforge.net/projects/bacrabbit/ for some more examples.

Regards,
peter
0 votes
The LED I meant is the ethernet connection indicator LED. There is one right?

Okay, I will try some of the demo apps first.

But I'm still curious on why I can't see the IP address of my module in the network administrator? Do I need to do some setup through the programming first?
answered Feb 5, 2011 by Lin9_Lun9 New to the Community (17 points)
0 votes
There's a pair of LEDs on the RJ45 connector but if you are not running any software on the module the Ethernet hardware is disabled and the module just sits there!

Regards,
Peter
0 votes
I've tried a PING sample program. As you said, when I run the program the indicator LEDs light up. However, I don't know whether the sample program running correctly or not, since I don't really understand what PING is doing. Do u have any simple sample program to light up an LED through the ethernet connection?
answered Feb 9, 2011 by Lin9_Lun9 New to the Community (17 points)
0 votes
Try the browseled.c program in the RCM5700\tcpip folder. If you have the demo board this will allow you to see the LEDs on a web page served up by the controller.

Regards,
Peter
answered Feb 9, 2011 by petermcs Veteran of the Digi Community (1,132 points)
0 votes
Is there any sample program that just do simple transmitting and receiving data between the RCM5700 and a PC?
answered Feb 9, 2011 by Lin9_Lun9 New to the Community (17 points)
0 votes
If you want an example of some softwear for transferring data between the PC and a RCM5700 you could look at combining the Rabbit BACnet stack for the the rabbit end of things and the standard C BACnet stack at the PC end.

This provides a solution that will work "out of the box" on the RCM5700 side as I have implemented a set of demo apps for that platform amongst others.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bacnet/ is the C version
and
https://sourceforge.net/projects/bacrabbit/ is the Dynamic C version.

Regards,
peter
answered Feb 9, 2011 by petermcs Veteran of the Digi Community (1,132 points)
0 votes
I haven't got time to test the BACnet you said. But I tried to test the browseled.c you said but I don't know how is it working. When I compile and run it, it only shows a blank stdio window. Is there any steps in doing the testing?
As for the TCPCONFIG, I've tried to put only

#define TCPCONFIG 1

Then I got the warning regarding the primary address.
Then when I tried

#define TCPCONFIG 1
#define _PRIMARY_STATIC_IP "192.168.1.111"
#define _PRIMARY_NETMASK "255.255.255.0"
#define MY_GATEWAY "192.168.1.254"
#define MY_NAMESERVER "192.168.1.254"

There is now warning anymore. However, the outcome is still the same, blank stdio window.
answered Feb 15, 2011 by Lin9_Lun9 New to the Community (17 points)