Home/Support/Support Forum/Programming header to have input protection
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Programming header to have input protection

0 votes
Over the years I've had several core modules get into a state where they can no longer be re-programmed.

This can occur at any time - ie, I've seen brand new modules do it within a day or two, and I've seen modules that are 5 years old or more still working perfectly.

The scenario is this... when trying to program the core module you get 'No Rabbit Processor Detected' and if you de-select 'enable processor verification' then you get 'Timeout while waiting for response from target'.

Yet the module will still run whatever firmware is onboard it without any trouble - including using serial port A.

Believe me, it is not the programming cable, the COM port, the USB settings or anything like that - it is definitely without doubt the modules themselves which go bad.

I personally believe it is because the programming header is connected directly to the SMODE and STATUS pins with no input protection.

So I'd like to see input protection on the programming header.
asked Apr 14, 2009 in Feedback/Wish List by LightHouseMan New to the Community (22 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

8 Answers

0 votes
I have not yet seen this happen on any of my modules, what RCM's have you experienced this with?
answered Apr 15, 2009 by kobuseng Community Contributor (112 points)
0 votes
Well kobuseng, you are one of the lucky ones!

I've seen it with RCM2000, RCM2200, and RCM4010

This forum and the rabbit-semi group on yahoo often see messages about this.
answered Apr 15, 2009 by LightHouseMan New to the Community (22 points)
0 votes
Im mainly using the RCM3365 and RCM3100, but not in large quantities, maybe 400 of each. So perhaps my quantities aren't large enough to see it.
0 votes
I think it's down to usage patterns.
If you are programming 400 devices once then you're unlikely to see it.

If you have one device and you're doing an incremental development, and your product uses serial port A which means pulling the programming cable on and off all day long then eventually you'll see it.

I really wish you could just leave the cable on and make it inactive rather than having to pull it on and off all the time.
answered Apr 15, 2009 by LightHouseMan New to the Community (22 points)
0 votes
Ah ok then that explains it, Serial port A is reserved only for the programming/debugging functions of Dynamic C on my product.
0 votes
Personally, I don't know why Rabbit doesn't put USB on the modules instead of a programming header and eliminate the programming cable completely.
answered May 16, 2009 by Rob2 New to the Community (11 points)
0 votes
Rob;3408 wrote:
Personally, I don't know why Rabbit doesn't put USB on the modules instead of a programming header and eliminate the programming cable completely.

Well, that is sort of outside the scope of the module - not everyone will want USB chips and support components, and it takes space for the connector to.

It might add only a couple of $ to the unit cost, but that could be significant in big enough runs.

What they are doing now, with the RCM5600W and RCM5700 is having no programming header, and a USB chip on the dev kit board - you only need a standard USB cable to program those babies.
answered Aug 10, 2009 by LightHouseMan New to the Community (22 points)
0 votes
This can be done with the latest release of PASSOLO 6. In the text parser settings you see, that all open projects are listet. You can just drag a rule to the project to embed it.
answered Oct 31, 2009 by JazyType73 New to the Community (5 points)