Home/Support/Support Forum/A decent IDE :)
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

A decent IDE :)

0 votes
The current IDE (Dynamic C 9.50) isn't stable, it hangs very often.
Also the compiler that is supplied, had almost no form of optimizing, no checking if variables are used, initialized, etc...
The Dynamic C code is anything but standard C...

Wouldn't it be great if there was a stable IDE, with an optimizing compiler which accepts standard (Ansi) C... or even C++

Well, that's my wish list for rabbit semiconductor...

And yes, I know there's a product from softools, but my wish would be that rabbit itself would supply a decent product!
asked Feb 28, 2007 in Feedback/Wish List by IWriteCode New to the Community (17 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

3 Answers

0 votes
http://www.softools.com
And there is the z2k assembler for Linux.

I still prefer Dynamic C. It's simple, uses LIB's in editable code, multi-tasking... If you need optimization, use assembler. :p

A lot of times if it hangs, it might be something connected to the power on the board is sharing the regulator and drawing too much current.
answered Sep 24, 2007 by zeeb New to the Community (3 points)
0 votes
few years later (it's 2011) and Dynamic C is currently in version 9.62.
still not very stable, for example i get stack error while compiling. usually it works again if one just recompiles again. still, compiler is not my biggest issue, it is the IDE itself:
only 10 watchdogs, hoover mouse over variable displays value but it is inconsistent - usually it is just painfully slow, IDE does not remember what windows were open nor their size and position. still cannot resize columns of various windows (watches, memory dump etc.), cannot show more than one memory dump (what if two memory blocks are not close enough and don't fit into same window? i don't want to keep punching in hex address or scroll window every 10 seconds or use screenshots)

i'd like to see it integrated into something smarter like NetBeans.
answered Apr 26, 2011 by ik242 New to the Community (3 points)
0 votes
also, it would be nice to have simulator. so far i usually write and test most of the code in Zilog (very powerful IDE) then port to Dynamic C.
answered Apr 26, 2011 by ik242 New to the Community (3 points)