Home/Support/Support Forum/Problem regarding serial port in rabbit RCM6700
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Problem regarding serial port in rabbit RCM6700

0 votes
Hi guys, I'm using the rabbit RCM6700 to do some coding using C programming and I'm using the Dynamic C 10.66 compiler.
I want to do simple RS485 transmit and receive using serial port D, so I added the library file RS232.lib into the project files. I connect the RCM6700 to one rs485 ic (MAX3072). I use a control pin (PE1) from RCM6700 to the rs485 ic to control the rs485 ic whether it do receiving or transmitting. I will use the serDrdUsed() function to see whether I have receive data or not.
The problem I face is, everytime I set control pin PE1 to high (transmitting mode), the serDrdUsed() will have some value. Aren't serDrdUsed() will only have value if I set PE1 to low (receiving mode) and when I receive some data?
asked Jun 17, 2013 in Embedded Devices by maniac84 New to the Community (3 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
RS485 is half duplex communication. Transmission and reception of data can't be done simultaneously.

Try with this code:
Code:
#define TX_TMOUT 2UL #define RX_TMOUT 20UL #define PACKET_LENGTH 32 char packetOut[PACKET_LENGTH], packetIn[PACKET_LENGTH], n; // transmitte mode serDflowcontrolOff(); // store data to packetOut sprintf(packetOut, "%s", "this is the data to be sent"); // send data serDwrite(packetOut, strlen(packetOut)); // wait buffer output empty while (serDwrUsed() > 0) ; // wait data sent to another device waitfor(DelayMs(TX_TMOUT)); // receive mode serDflowcontrolOn(); // read serial data in here... n = serDread(packetIn, PACKET_LENGTH, RX_TMOUT); if(n>0){ // process data input in here }

regards,
eda
answered Jun 20, 2013 by edha Community Contributor (71 points)
reshown Jul 5, 2015 by edha
I know that RS485 is half duplex communication.
I found out that when I transmit out data using serDputc() command, the serDrdUsed() will be >0. Aren't that serDrdUsed() will be >0 when only we receive data?
Is pin /RE of MAX3072 connected to GND? If yes, that hardware configuration for echo mode. Cut wiring from /RE to GND then connect pin /RE to pin DE of MAX3072.
RS485 will transmite mode when you set high /RE and DE, and vice versa.