Home/Support/Support Forum/how to get two XB24-ZB's to talk to each other
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

how to get two XB24-ZB's to talk to each other

0 votes
I'm a newbie with 2 XB24-ZB's, each connected to a pc, com tests for each works fine. I've read through the XBee Pro getting started guide, the XBee manual, and the X-CTU_UsersGuide. the getting started guide mentions a coordinator making me think i'm missing a necessary piece of hardware....
Firmware on both radios is current (22A7)
Range test just fails everytime from either end.
As recommended I changed cluster ID's, destination addresses, then went back to defaults because nothing worked.

I can't find any references in the forum - because i think it's too dumb of a question...

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
asked Jul 10, 2013 in Digi Connect Cellular by jomani New to the Community (0 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes
A xBee chip can be configured as an end device, a router or a coordinator. for your purposes you'll need either both chips configured as routers or one chip as a router and one chip as a coordinator. (There can be only one Coordinator per network, but many routers and end points.)

I'm assuming that you can do AT commands to the local chip at both ends.

Step 1. In the x-CTU program, connect the first chip.
go to Modem configuration tab. and click on read, then click on restore and allow the chip to be reset to factory settings.

Step 2. Make note of the function set. IE router or Coordinator After the type you should see 'AT' or 'API'.
Below that in networking folder, note the pan ID. If there is none, click on it and enter a number. (Use a 3 digit number IE 201). click write.

Step 3. Now go down to Addressing Make note of the serial Number low (SL), You'll need to enter this number into the Destination Address low(DL) of the other chip.

Step 4. If you know the SL number of the other chip enter it into the DL of this chip. Also enter the SH number into the SH for both chips. (This number is the same for all xBee chips in production.) So this number should be in both SH and DH of both chips.

Step 5. Now take that chip out and replace it with the other chip. and go to step 1.

Connect the chips to their own terminal programs and they should be talking to each other.

Adolph
answered Jul 10, 2013 by adolphdupre New to the Community (1 point)
Thank you Adolph.
Both radios are "AT"
PAN ID was 0, so I set it to 201 for both radios
I set the DH & DL for both radios to the values from the other
I made sure to 'write' both radios
they are each connected to their own respective laptops with X-CTU program running and from either end the 'range test' still fails 100% of the time
FYI: I'm not sure what AT commands are.  I'm just using X-CTU to communicate with the radios.

Any other thoughts?
0 votes
Set other unique PAN ID to both radios and set SC to maximum which scans all available channels.
And make sure that there are no other Coordinator in the place.
answered Sep 26, 2013 by 16ksa23 Veteran of the Digi Community (426 points)