Home/Support/Support Forum/Router behavior with JV=1 and NW>0

Router behavior with JV=1 and NW>0

0 votes
Hi, I've observed the following behavior when JV=1 and NW>0: when the router comes up after a power cycle, and the coordinator is not present on the current channel/PAN, the router would re-join the PAN. This is the expected behavior as described in the XBee manual.
Quote:
Set/read the channel verification setting. If enabled, a router will verify a coordinator exists on the same channel after joining or power cycling to ensure it is operating on a valid channel, and will leave if a coordinator cannot be found (if NJ=0xFF). If disabled, the router will remain on the same channel through power cycles.

However, regarding NW, it is not clear whether the NW timer is set upon power-up, or only after joining a PAN.
My main goal is that the router will first try to verify its coordinator (JV=1) and then, if it is not found after 3NW, leave the PAN.
Quote:
Network Watchdog Timeout. Set/read the network watchdog timeout value. If NW is set > 0, the router will monitor communication from the coordinator (or data collector) and leave the network if it cannot communicate with the coordinator for 3 NW periods. The timer is reset each time data is received from or sent to a coordinator, or if a many- to-one broadcast is received.

My indication for leaving the PAN is receiving the "disassociated" state in the modem status frame. Though it sounds un-logical that the router is "disassociated" if it was never "associated" (after the power cycle).

When I set JV=0, the NW timer does expire and the router resets its network state, as expected; this gives me the impression that the NW timer is set only upon joining/re-joining.

From the XBee manual:
Quote:
The following events restart the network watchdog timer:
•RF data received from the coordinator
•RF data sent to the coordinator and an acknowledgment was received
•Many-to-one route request was received (from any device)
•Changing the value of NW.

Still not clear whether the NW timer starts on power-up or only after a successful join.

Is my assumption correct? is the observed behavior is expected?

Remarks:
    - Both devices have 2xA7 firmware, and operate in API mode.
    - Both devices were previously associated successfully.
    - Coordinator has NJ=0xFF.
asked Aug 30, 2013 in ZigBee PRO Featureset (and legacy ZNet 2.5) by Edge New to the Community (0 points)
edited Aug 30, 2013 by Edge

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
The network watch dog timer is set after it has successfully Joined a PAN. If JV is = 1 and there is no coordinator, on the network, the router will not finish the joining process.
answered May 13, 2014 by mvut Veteran of the Digi Community (11,450 points)