the sensor is connected to the arduino, but that part works.
It is an ADXL345 acceleromete that picks up a single tap ("p"). This data is captured by the arduino and transmitted as a single letter "p" from the arduino to the xbee using serial1.
On the other side the xbee is connected to a similair arduino that looks for the letter "p" on serial1. when the letter "p" is received a LED is pulsed to indicate this.
Everything works, the sensor provides the output every time and this I have tested already. I now added the xbee to get the signal remotely (I plan on using this up to 1.3km) but for now I need to sort it out while on my desk first (with Xbee on the lowest power setting)