Home/Support/Support Forum/Allow inter-pan packets on XBee ZB modules
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Allow inter-pan packets on XBee ZB modules

0 votes
For better integration with Zigbee Smart Energy and Light Link devices, inter-pan packets need to be supported. These are messages where the source and destination PAN are not the same, allowing to send messages to nodes outside of your current network.

On the API side, I think these would require two new API frame types, similar to the "Explicit Addressing ZigBee Command frame" and "ZigBee Explicit Rx Indicator" packets, but with source and/or destination PAN fields added.
asked May 1, 2015 in Feedback/Wish List by matthijs Community Contributor (78 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote
Are you looking to make a suggestion to Digi to add this function? If so, I would suggest contacting your Digi Regional Sales office.
answered May 1, 2015 by mvut Veteran of the Digi Community (11,392 points)
Yeah, I was under the impression that the "Feedback/Wish List" category was the right place for providing wish list suggestions. A lot of companies use public forums like these to collect ideas and gauge interest in features. Possibly I'm too much used to the maker and open source worlds, forgetting that Digi is a big industrial company :-)

Being based in the Netherlands, I don't really think there is a regional office here. I can try the contact form on their site, but my previous attempts using that only met silence, so I'm not exactly hopeful...
Try using  http://www.digi.com/contactus?t=DBN2  and http://www.digi.com/company/locations to locate the Regional Digi Sales office near you.
I did, nothing in the Netherlands. I've contacted Digi through the chat, which suggested I could send an e-mail to tech.support@digi.com with my suggestions. I'll try that, or contact the Belgium office.

Thanks!
It's been a long while since I posted this, but I wanted to follow up here. When I posted the above, I tried submitting this suggestion, among others, to Digi. In the end, I ended up talking to mostly blank walls, except for the XCTU developer team which was very responsive. In October 2015 (a year ago) they said they forwarded my suggestions to the firmware team, but I haven't heard since.
For Digi, this is not the best place to place suggestions to products.  The reason for that is that this is open to the public for anyone to see and answer. It is also not monitored by anyone within Digi.

For all new product suggestions, it is always best to provide them to your account manager.  That account manager has the ability to provide direct feed back to the product managers and developers as to what customers are asking for.

As for time, items such as this do require that the processor being used have the memory to support these functions along with the Zigbee stack and standard being used support the function.  Given time, I suspect your suggestion will occur.  You just need to give both the hardware and software along with the standard time enough to catch up.
@mvut, I had indeed tried to contact Digi through my regional sales offices (by e-mail as well as by phone), which mostly forwarded me to other people without receiving actual replies to my questions and suggestions. I was merely posting my experience here, so others would know what I tried and that my suggestions will likely have ended up in the right place after all.

Having said that, your suggestion of going through an account manager (which I do not have) can be valuable, if others have the same requirement, I invite them to contact their account manager and ask for this feature.