Home/Support/Support Forum/Totally stuck installing software
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Totally stuck installing software

0 votes
Hello there,

i'm totally stuck at installing third party software on my digi linux device.

I'm using the ConnectCard™ for i.MX28 with 256/256 and the Development Kit.

I successfully compiled a linux with Digi ESP and transferred it on my module via network and serial. In the past i had gcc and g++ on my modules. Now its not installed on the module.

Looking for a download i'm scarred how big the gnu compiler actually is. To big for 256mib space.

So any hint how to install extern software mit configure/make/make install on my device.

I guess i have to cross compile or something or to include it in my Digi ESP Linux Kernel project.

I understood that there is the possibility to place the application in the "app" directory. But its not simple as it is i guess. I get a lot of errors and stuff. The chapter 4.2.4 is very short and did not help at all.

Nils
asked Aug 28, 2015 in Linux by Curby New to the Community (2 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
yes, you need to cross-compile on host.
start shell on a host, setup environment for cross compiler:
export PATH=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/bin:$PATH
export TOOLCHAIN_DIR=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/

If your application supports auto-configure, call ./configure:

CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi

run make:
make CC=arm-linux-gcc

Here is an example:
export PATH=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/bin:$PATH
export TOOLCHAIN_DIR=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi/

wget http://www.tcpdump.org/release/tcpdump-4.3.0.tar.gz
wget http://www.tcpdump.org/release/libpcap-1.3.0.tar.gz
tar xvfz libpcap-1.3.0.tar.gz

cd libpcap-1.3.0/
CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi --with-pcap=linux
make CC=arm-linux-gcc
make install

cd ..
tar xvfz tcpdump-4.3.0.tar.gz
cd tcpdump-4.3.0/
vi configure
Find in configure and change ac_cv_linux_vers=unknown to ac_cv_linux_vers=2

CC=arm-linux-gcc ./configure --host=arm-linux --target=arm-linux --prefix=/usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi
make CC=arm-linux-gcc
make install
answered Aug 31, 2015 by LeonidM Veteran of the Digi Community (3,028 points)
Now everything is installed in the directory /usr/local/DigiEL-5.9/x-tools/arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi.

I guess now i have to copy the created folders to my rootfs projekt? But there are many directorys. How do i know, what to copy? sbin and lib directorys into my rootfs?
do "make install" in to some temp folder then you will know what belongs to your project