Home/Support/Support Forum/Can the Digi Connect WAN 3G VPN enabled routers be configured to automatically reboot once a day?
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Can the Digi Connect WAN 3G VPN enabled routers be configured to automatically reboot once a day?

0 votes
I have an issue with the VPN tunnels locking up with several Digi Connect WAN 3G VPN enabled routers being used around London. When the tunnel locks up, communication to the unit over the VPN becomes impossible. We have to send someone out to manually restart the unit. This happens seemingly at random, but at least once every other day.

The units are running the most up to date firmware and POST.

Rather than having someone go and restart the units every couple of days, I would like to configure the units to automatically restart every 24 hours. Is this possible, and if so how? Looking through the user guide, I can't find anything obvious.
asked Jun 27, 2016 in Digi Connect Cellular by james.rocha New to the Community (3 points)
I am also looking to add this functionality to schedule reboot on Digi WR11 every 24 hours. I would appreciate an answer to the question as well.

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

+1 vote
You should be able to use Python to accomplish this:

http://www.digi.com/wiki/developer/index.php/Reboot_gateway_at_a_specific_time
answered Jun 28, 2016 by userid0 Veteran of the Digi Community (2,156 points)
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to give it a go and will report back whether it has worked for me. One question though - the link you've provided mentions a Digi 'Gateway', rather than the Digi Connect I've got. Do you think the steps are still applicable?
The products are very similar and run the same O.S., I expect it will work just fine on the Digi Connect.
0 votes
I can confirm a 'Python' script will work on these units. I've tried and tested it myself.

I don't think I can use attachments with this site, so I can't send you a copy of what I used. Please refer to the link in the previous post to get a copy of the python file, and amend the 'ntpreboot_config.txt' file to have the text:

# see README for details.

# NTP server to get time from
NTP_SERVER = 0.uk.pool.ntp.org

# select time of day to reboot (manditory)
# please use military time. For example: 15:00 = 3pm
REBOOT_TIME_OF_DAY = 02:00

# day of week to reboot (optional). If none is specified the script will reboot everyday at the specified time.
REBOOT_DAY =
answered Apr 4, 2017 by james.rocha New to the Community (3 points)