Home/Support/Support Forum/US GSM Carrier SIM Compatibility Question
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

US GSM Carrier SIM Compatibility Question

0 votes
My friend purchased a WR44-L300-NE1-XH v2 on eBay and it has Novatel E371 LTE (AT&T) hardware, he has got it to successfully work on the AT&T network. Since it has dual SIM slots, my question is will other GSM SIM's like T-Mobile work on this device?

Thank You,

Brien
asked Jan 27, 2017 in Digi TransPort by brienmorris New to the Community (0 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes
I think the limiting factor here is the Bands / frequencies that are (and aren't) supported on the E371 module.

I found this on the E371 spec sheet:

Technology/Bands
LTE AWS, 700 MHz (B17) (with MIMO)
HSPA+/UMTS 850/AWS/1900/2100 MHz
GPRS 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Elsewhere, I found information that says T-Mobile uses Bands 2, 4, and 12 for 4G LTE. This tells me that 4G LTE via T-Mobile is not possible with this module (with this Digi product), because only Band 17 is supported, which I believe is the main band for AT&T 4G LTE.

So, unless I'm missing something, that information alone limits you from using 4G LTE via T-Mobile.

The same question/logic would apply to 3G. From the quick research I did, these are the supported 3G bands (well, frequencies) for T-Mobile:

1700 MHz, 1900 MHz, and 2100 MHz.

So maybe 3G would work in certain areas(?).

At any rate, this Digi device is definitely marketed and intended for use with AT&T only, and likely only supported when used with AT&T (just so you know).

If you have a working T-Mobile SIM card, you could certainly try it. Just be sure to use the proper APN for that SIM.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer. This isn't something I've tested before. I hope this information helps still, if even somewhat.
answered Jan 27, 2017 by jeremym Veteran of the Digi Community (1,673 points)
0 votes
E371 will support T-Mobile on 1700/2100 4G LTE, using apn fast.t-mobile.com
answered Dec 20, 2017 by Bryonhu New to the Community (44 points)