Home/Support/Support Forum/Can XBee firmware be OTA ugraded by Device Cloud?
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Can XBee firmware be OTA ugraded by Device Cloud?

0 votes
We have some CP X4 with S2B (fw: 21A7), and battery powered end-devices with S2C-TH (fw: 4059). We are having reliability issues; per newer fw 405E/405F release notes, fw like 4059 has joining problems for S2C end-devices with S2B routers.

I've had no problem doing OTA update from an X4 or X2e web-gui, but that requires local gateway access - ours are remote.

Can the upgrade be done via Device-Cloud? I've been able to upload the EBL file via DC; I can enable OTA check boxes, but it seems I cannot actually trigger the upgrade. Can OTA be triggered remotely by Device-Cloud? Does Digi have a Python script which can help accomplish this?
asked May 12, 2017 in Device Manager by Coralyn Seasoned Professional (154 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes
Looks like if you use the API function of the Device Cloud, you should be able to update the firmware on a remote XBee. Just make sure you know the Device ID value before you start writing the API.
answered May 15, 2017 by mvut Veteran of the Digi Community (12,001 points)
0 votes
Hey, MVUT. So no white-paper on this?

After some fiddling, I discovered that a mix of normal Device Cloud settings and Device Cloud "Command Line Interface" (DC-CLI), I can accomplish it. It does take about 1/2 a day, so for hundreds of units, is tough. Plus one cannot cut-n-paste to DC-CLI, so one types by hand.

In our case, our sleeping device might only wake up a few times a day. So we need to:
1) via DC, enable the FW-UPDATE; then we have to wait for our end-devices to wake & update the gateway, so we can confirm which XBEE and FW is in each end-device.
2) so hours/days later, we can check the DC-CLI and confirm the end-device status.
3) Then we can schedule the required end-device updates ... but they are of course sleeping.
4) so hours/days later, we can confirm if the update worked.
5) Once it has worked, we turn off the FW-UPDATE features.

(I did create a PDF document for our support people)
answered May 19, 2017 by Coralyn Seasoned Professional (154 points)
At the DC-CLI, check out the XBEE command (not SET XBEE, just XBEE)

"xbee fw_update" shows the status of any joined nodes.

"xbee fw_update 00:13:a2:00:40:d9:9c:a8! fw_405F.ebl" schedules the update, which is (FYI) cleared if the gateway reboots.