Home/Support/Support Forum/Replaced Xbee PRO Through hole with Surface mount but doesn't work, why??

Replaced Xbee PRO Through hole with Surface mount but doesn't work, why??

0 votes
Ive been using XBee PRO's for a while and would like to replace them on a new design with the Surface Mount type device. By just using the VCC, GND and ASSOC connected to a led, the led will flash to show that the radio is working. As soon as I replace the through hole part with a SMD type the led stays ON and of course the device does not seem to work, what gives. I have sent an email to customer support but will be waiting for a reply. I don't want to spend money on a development board if I can avoid it as these parts should be just a drop in replacement.
asked Feb 5, 2018 in RF Solutions and XBee by casdsys New to the Community (5 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

3 Answers

0 votes
What is the exact part number for each XBee in question and what firmware version are you running on each?
answered Feb 6, 2018 by mvut Veteran of the Digi Community (13,036 points)
0 votes
Hello
The Xbee PRO is the XBP24-AUI-001 ( S1 )
Current firmware version would be 10ED
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/digi-international/XBP24-AUI-001/XBP24-AUI-001-ND/935970
Some have S1 some don't but they all work with my equipment.
I am now trying to use the surface mount type
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/digi-international/XBP24CAUIS-001/602-1900-ND/6010109
Not sure what the firmware version is as I have no means to connect it up to a computer unless I purchase a development board.
By connecting the vcc, gnd and associate, the led should flash as the other does when connecting new xbees to my product. These should be a direct drop in apart from different pin out, still no reply from digi. I may have to redesign the pcb to go back to the through hole device, pitty I was hoping to use the SMD type, cheers.
answered Feb 7, 2018 by casdsys New to the Community (5 points)
–1 vote
Figured it out, all good this end.
Case CLOSED.
answered Feb 15, 2018 by casdsys New to the Community (5 points)