Home/Support/Support Forum/Access serial device remotely using Digi Connect WAN 3G over mobile network
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

Access serial device remotely using Digi Connect WAN 3G over mobile network

0 votes
Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to setup a remote connection to a serial device using the Connect WAN 3G router. The purpose would be for the host computer to request and retrieve data from the remote serial device across a cellular network. The mobile sim that I'm using only has a dynamic IP, also I don't have an available DynDNS service. Is there a way to possibly establish a remote communication with these devices without the fixed ip?

Thanks.
asked Aug 31, 2018 in Digi Connect Cellular by Waldo New to the Community (0 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
Waldo,
It is going to be difficult to connect to a device that regularly changes it's IP. This is what DynDNS, No-IP, and other similar services are used for. To resolve the IP address of your dynamic IP device. Otherwise, is it possible? Yes, if the dynamic IP is public and you know what that IP address is at the exact moment in time that you attempt to make the connection. You should register the device in Digi Remote Manager to find out what your device IP is when you need to access it.
-P
answered Sep 6, 2018 by EuroCellTech New to the Community (5 points)