Home/Support/Support Forum/Need help implementing a S1 project to S2

Need help implementing a S1 project to S2

0 votes
Hello everyone,

I was looking around for a project at school and bumped into this:

http://www.jeffreyleblanc.org/energy/xbee.htm

The problem is, I ordered Series2 modules and cannot use some of the AT configuration commands mentioned there.

I'm very new to XBee and I have to finish it this weekend, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
asked Jan 31, 2008 in ZigBee PRO Featureset (and legacy ZNet 2.5) by Cagdas New to the Community (1 point)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

20 Answers

0 votes
That's a very interesting link! Thanks for posting it. So which commands are you having difficulties with?
answered Jan 31, 2008 by michaelt Veteran of the Digi Community (768 points)
0 votes
Thanks for your interest!

I'm unable to use ATMY and ATIx commands. ATMY is not a big deal, I'm able to select destinations using serial numbers of the modules, but ATIx commands are important for me as I guess I need to enable output from reciever and choose input as device "1".
answered Jan 31, 2008 by Cagdas New to the Community (1 point)
0 votes
Unlike the XBee 802.15.4 (XBS1) the XBee ZNet 2.5 (XBS2) does not have the IU, IA or IT parameters.

IU - The DIO UART output is enabled by default and cannot be turned off (IU1).

IA - The IA parameter is essentially removed and the DIO binding is now controlled only with addressing.

IT - The XBee 2.5 will not buffer more than one sample so it is equivalent to IT1.

The other parameters work in a similar fashion as on the XBee 802.15.4 so you can use that article as a guide. We also have an article on the XBee 802.15.4 which may provide some assistance for you (we will be releasing an article on the XBee 2.5 DIO in the near future), you can find that online at:
http://www.digi.com/support/kbase/kbaseresultdetl.jsp?id=2188
answered Feb 1, 2008 by travish New to the Community (19 points)
0 votes
Hy every one

I`m also new in the Xbee topic and i`ve follow the example given in the link, in fact i found the same example (in the documentation page) but in the end of the articule there are pictures that shows the PWM output. I have severals questiion:
the first one is about the A/D converssion. I want to know if I need an external MCU connected with the series 2 development (usb or RS232) board for transmitting the datas that the DAC is taking (or have taken), knowing that i´m working on a stand alone application (WSN), i mean, do i need an external MCU attached to the development board in order to send the ATIS comand and force a reading?, I also read in the manual that when the module wakes up it reads all the anabled A/D ports and sends the collected data; i need an external MCU to acomplish this as well?. wich pin (in the a base node) do i have to follow (messure) to know that the transmission sent by a remote node it has been receive by the base node or that the data it has been transmit in the remote?.

i don`t have enough time so i`ll appreciate an answere as soon as possible (and excuse me for my english, it is not so good).

thanks

Message was edited by: UIS

Message was edited by: UIS
answered Apr 4, 2008 by UIS New to the Community (16 points)
0 votes
¡Hola!

No you do not need an external MCU attached to the XBee in order to have it make unattended A/D samples.

You may configure the XBee ZNet 2.5 module for periodic I/O sampling via the IR command. First, you must set DH and DL to the address of the module to send the samples to (or 0 to have them send to the network coordinator). Next, set IR to the number of milliseconds you would like the XBee to wait between samples.

The unit you have specified for DH and DL must be in API mode. Samples will arrive on the destination unit as an "ZigBee IO Data Sample Rx Indicator" (API type 0x92).

Hopefully this should get your started!

Please see:
http://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90000866_C.pdf

...for more information. But do let us know if you need more assistance!
answered Apr 4, 2008 by jordanh Community Contributor (92 points)
0 votes
Thanks for your answer, the problem was that i was reading an earlier version of the manual (the one that goes in the CD). thank you very much.
0 votes
Hy again:

I was working on what you tell me on the last post but i still have a problem (in fact there are 2 big problems). the first one is that once the A/D has taken the sample the module is not able to transmit it to the base and that is because I don`t know why my modules doesn't support API mode, i have tried to change the firmware of the XB24-B ZNET 2.5ROUTER/ENDDEVICE AT version 1241 (that is the one available in the X-CTU that brings the CD) via the X-CTU to the XB24-B ZNET 2.5ROUTER/ENDDEVICE API version 1341 (just like the manual said) and that is no possible. The second problem is that I`ve been reading the X-ctu manual (that is here) and they present a tab that my X-CTU doesn't`t have, the tab is for allow a base station to change the radio parameters of a remote node. they said "- On the Modem Configuration tab, select the Remote Configuration option on the top left corner of the program" and i do not find that tab. I`ve seen that i can get the measure as a PWM output in the receiver node (base node) and i`ve done that and no data is shown, so that means that no data is been sent.

Thanks for your quick answer just like yesterday.
thanks again and excuse me for bother you with this things.
0 votes
On your troubles with changing the firmware of a module via X-CTU, X-CTU often needs user intervention in order to complete the load when it is operating on some modules.

For example, when you are changing from ZNet 2.5 AT mode firmware to ZNet 2.5 API mode firmware often the X-CTU application will attempt to get the module into command mode and fail (for a variety of reasons): when this occurs, a dialog box should pop up informing you that some user action is required. At this point, press the reset button on the development board. The firmware should now be placed on the module.

Do not forget that when you are changing from AT to API firmware you will need to go to X-CTU's Configuration tab in order to enable API communication so you can continue to talk to the module.

As for the Remote Command support in X-CTU, it will be available in the next release of the software!

Regards,

Jordan
answered Apr 5, 2008 by jordanh Community Contributor (92 points)
0 votes
Hi jordan:

Thanks for your help, finally I´ve made an A/D transmission between two nodes, now my task is to implement a 15 node network and I`m searching for a MAC protocol that fits with my problem. I was using sleep modes Command but implementing this force the coordinator to be always awaken, so i would like to know if could I implement an Media Access Protocol that force the remotes nodes to be awake just when is needed including the coordinator.
answered Apr 8, 2008 by UIS New to the Community (16 points)
0 votes
The MAC protocol is not an issue now.
The real problem is that I need to interface the Xbee module with a digital sensor (SHT-1x from sensirion), and i need to send to this sensor a digital word in order to get the sensor reading, so i would like to know if with the digital output i can do this, i mean, is there a way to send a periodic pulse through the digital output.

Thanks for your cooperation.
answered Apr 9, 2008 by UIS New to the Community (16 points)