Home/Support/Support Forum/XBee SX vs. XBee3 Zigbee

XBee SX vs. XBee3 Zigbee

0 votes
I purchased the XBee3 Zigbee development kit and I was very impressed by the quality of it. However I am having some second thoughts whether I made the right choice for my project or not.

I am developing a small sensor hub that will be connected to 3~4 environmental sensors and live outdoors (under cover). I absolutely love the idea of using micropython and was a big factor in choosing the XBee3 kit. And also because I am familiar with the Zigbee protocol and have previously used XBee2 modules.

However, I have 3 critical requirements for the prototype:
1. Battery life. The hub should be able to operate for at least 12 months in what I call "sensor fusion" mode. i.e the hub will be awaken once every hour for at most 5 seconds, the time to capture one sample for each sensor and then send the data to the coordinator. I am planning on powering the hub with a single CR2777 3v battery.

2. Range is important, I want to make sure data can be sent to a router or a coordinator located around 1000m away.

3. Rapid prototyping: being a software engineer by trade I want to be able to program a small application to collect the data, store it locally and present it on a web page or a display. I am very comfortable with python, java or C++

I would like to know if the XBee3 Zigbee is suitable for such project or if I should opt for an XBee SX.
I am not sure the XBee SX is as easy to work with in term of programming since I don't think it support micropython, I am also not sure about how easy the SDK is to be used with an XBee

Thanks in advance for any help.
Amir.
asked Jul 10 in XBee3 ZigBee by amirna2 New to the Community (0 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.