Home/Support/Support Forum/ValueError: incompatible .mpy file

ValueError: incompatible .mpy file

0 votes
Hello,

I am following the Digi Micropython Programming guide documentation to setup my development environment with PyCharm IDE and the Digi XBee plugin.

The setup works great and I was able to create a project, add some code and have the IDE flash the connected module.
However when the code runs, I get the following error on the terminal:

MicroPython v1.11-1227-g52e306b on 2019-07-10; XBee3 Zigbee with EFR32MG
Type "help()" for more information.
>>>
Loading /flash/main.mpy...
ValueError: incompatible .mpy file

If I download the same code directly from the terminal using (CTRL+F / CRTL+D) and then run it using CTRL+R
then it executes the mpy just fine.

I am using PyCharm version 2019.1.3 and Xbee plugin Version 1.0.1 (June 2019). The Xbee3 Zigbee module I am using is on f/w 1007

I am suspecting that the plugin is using a version of the cross-compiler that is not compatible with the micropython installed on the module, but I have no idea how/where I can change the cross-compiler.

Any help is appreciated. The PyCharm IDE + Plugin is quite amazing to use and this is really the only problem right now to get a full development environment setup.

Thanks,
Amir.
asked Jul 22, 2019 in MicroPython by amirna2 New to the Community (1 point)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

3 Answers

+1 vote
Hi Amir,

Thanks for reporting this issue. As you say, there is a mismatch between the cross-compiler and MicroPython versions. We are fixing the problem and will release a new version of the plugin very soon.

In the meantime, you can disable the source compilation to avoid this problem. To do so, go to File | Settings | Project: <name> | XBee MicroPython and uncheck the "Compile source files with 'mpy-cross'" option.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
Ruben
answered Jul 24, 2019 by rmoral New to the Community (12 points)
0 votes
This error occurs when importing a module that is stored as a mpy binary file (rather than a py text file) that was generated by a different version of CircuitPython than the one its being loaded into. Most versions are compatible but, rarely they aren't.
answered Jul 29, 2019 by shruthijothsana New to the Community (3 points)
0 votes
ValueError: Incompatible .mpy file.
This error occurs when importing a module that is stored as a mpy binary file (rather than a py text file) that was generated by a different version of CircuitPython than the one its being loaded into. Most versions are compatible but, rarely they aren't.This may help:
https://docsbay.net/troubleshooting
answered Aug 21, 2019 by shruthijothsana New to the Community (3 points)