Home/Support/Support Forum/Forcing sleep mode when out of range
New and improved user forum site going live on 12/6 (All users will need to reset their password when the new forum is active)

Forcing sleep mode when out of range

0 votes
Hi, this is my first post. Thanks in advance for the help.

Explain the situationa: I have a weather station, of which I download the memory of the datalogger via RS232 cable using the PC. Usually I download the memory of data logger once per week (total duration: 10 minutes)

Because the station is in a place not easily accessible, I used the following:

1) meteorological station + Xbee (end device) + socket 232 + battery
2) PC + Xbee (coordinator) + USB shield

It works perfectly, as if the weather station was physically connected to the PC. That way I can download the data logger easily.

Once I download the data, I go away, taking with me the computer (included Xbee coordinator).

Using the tester, I see that when I turn off the PC module, the end device begins to consume a lot of current (much more than when working), while I would like to bring it into sleep mode.

In this way the battery runs out very soon!

In short, how to force the end device to enter sleep mode when the coordinator is out of range (or off), and reactivated when re-power the coordinator?

All this to make the battery last as long as possible.

Thank you and sorry for the bad English!
asked Mar 1, 2011 in ZigBee PRO Featureset (and legacy ZNet 2.5) by GianfrancoPa New to the Community (8 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

27 Answers

0 votes
Hi, one way is to provide the remote AT commands for sleep to your end device, before shutting down your laptop.
answered Mar 22, 2011 by shahrj1988 Veteran of the Digi Community (263 points)
0 votes
Hi, you can give the following AT commands

SM : 5 --- Cyclic Sleep PIN- WAKE
ST : F
SP : AF0
SN : Any HEX Value (in the rage of 1 - 0xFFFF)
SO : 04 (Note: Sleep time = SP * SN)

With this setting, You can increase the sleep time and remote XBee can wake up as PIN wake up applied at the pin 9 on the XBee.
0 votes
Sorry, but it's been a long time, I almost forgot the question!

Can I force it into sleep mode, ok, no problem. But as soon as I walk away (or turn off the coordinator), he wakes up and begins to search for the coordinator, consuming a lot of energy!
answered Mar 22, 2011 by GianfrancoPa New to the Community (8 points)
0 votes
Ok, Then why dont you try establishing router in between Coordinator and End Device? This problem will be solved.
0 votes
Quote:
Ok, Then why dont you try establishing router in between Coordinator and End Device? This problem will be solved.

It's cheaper build a little circuit with (and, first of all, more powersave), for example, a microcontroller ATmega, in order to force hybernate mode, and wake up it, for example, every minute to check the coordinator avaibility. If coordinator is avaible, it can starts the comunication, otherwise it returns into hybernate mode.

What do you think about?
answered Mar 22, 2011 by GianfrancoPa New to the Community (8 points)
0 votes
It will be better to interface controller with your end device XBee, as you can not use Coordinator to send the remote XBee command every time as you explained in your previous posts. But always use the controller which is working on 3.3V.
answered Mar 23, 2011 by shahrj1988 Veteran of the Digi Community (263 points)
0 votes
I'll use an ATmega328P, that functions at 5V, but using an adatpter I'll be able
to use 3.3V, too.

I know that I have to adapt the serial DIN from 5V to 3.3v. It's correct?
answered Mar 23, 2011 by GianfrancoPa New to the Community (8 points)
0 votes
Yes, you need to use both way. For that you can use Bidirectional Buffers/ Transceivers, Precision Operational Amplifiers, or Voltage Divider Circuits.

And as a microcontroller, Youcan use the low power Controller as PIC24F16KA102.
answered Mar 23, 2011 by shahrj1988 Veteran of the Digi Community (263 points)
0 votes
Ok folks. Lets clarify some things.

First, the ZigBee Mesh and Znet 2.5 Mesh based products are not designed for the Coordinator to be roaming. The Coordinator is intended to be stationary.

The best product to use for a Point to point connection for which you have is an XBee 802.15.4 module. This module can sleep on your remote side giving you the longer battery life you need while the always on sleep Coordinator can be connected to your PC and be removed.
answered Mar 23, 2011 by mvut Veteran of the Digi Community (15,515 points)
0 votes
Hi folks, I have more or less the same situation, I have 3 end devices modules (sensing and recording temperature) and 1 coordinator (connected to PC) what I want to do is power the end devices modules with batteries (to remote data logger and battery low consumption), the issue is in the communication form, I always keep the module listening for the detection of a coordinator (this one performance the ATND command and discover the nodes in the XBee network) to download the data recordered by the end device module. On this way the battery life is about two days (I use energizer batteries, and this is the best model that I found Energizer® Ultimate Lithium this one can handle up to 3000mAh) I want to increase the battery life but I could not do.

I have this:

XBee modules (End Devices)
XB24-Z7CIT-004
Firmaware
Modem = XB24-B
Function Set = ZNet 2.5 Router/End Device AT
Version = 1247

XStick
XU-Z11
Firmware
Modem = XB24-B
Function Set = ZNet 2.5 coordinator AT
Version = 1047

Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks in advance.
answered May 11, 2011 by JoYcEr182 New to the Community (9 points)