What is energy management and why is it important to you?
To understand the the importance we must explore the true operating cost of a typical commercial walk in freezer. According to the Energy Information Administration the average national cost of commercial energy is $0.1022 per kilowatt.
Cooler average cost per month / Freezer average cost per month
- 6×6 $69.50 / 6×6 $235.96
- 6×8 $73.50 / 6×8 $239.96
- 8×8 $122.70 / 8×8$243.96
- 8×10 $113.84 / 8×10$353.24
- 8×12 $119.84 / 8×12$357.24
- 10×10 $144.15 / 8×12$362.24
- 10×12 $149.15 / 10×10$415.73
There are many factors that can affect the total operating costs. Some of the bigger ones include:
- Efficiency of refrigeration
- Exterior temperature of walk-in
- Age of the walk-in
- How frequently the door is open (loading food, cleaning, etc)
- Temperature of food inside
Lets take it a step further:
If you own one 10X10 walk-in cooler, and one 10X10 walk-in freezer your monthly operating cost are equal to approx. $144.15 + $362.24 = $506.39.
Using a 24/7 temperature monitoring system can help to reduce energy costs by 10-25%. Conservatively speaking this savings would equate to .10 X $506.39, for a savings of $50.64 per month. Reduce your operating costs and extend the life of your refrigeration units!