This guide shows instructions on how to remove and change COM Port Assignments in Windows 7. Because the process requires you to enter the Device Manager, caution is advised
Show all Com Port Assignments
- Open a Command Prompt window, right click and select Run as administrator:
- Type the following lines:
*This should automatically open the Device Manager for you.
- In Device Manager: click View, then Show Hidden Devices.
- Expand the section labeled Ports (COM & LPT) to view all COM Ports that have ever been installed on this computer. COM Ports that have been assigned but are not currently connected will have a light-grey icon.
To remove an old COM Port
- Right-click on the COM Port in question and chose Uninstall.
The removed COM Port is free to be assigned to new devices that are plugged into this PC.
To change COM Port assignments
- Expand the Multi-port serial adapters entry, right-click on the Digi device you want to change and chose Properties.
- In the Properties window, click the Advanced tab, followed by Properties.
- In the Advanced Properties window, click the desired port number on the left, then Serial.
- Chose an unused COM Port from the drop-down list and click Apply.
Jun 23, 2019