How to update the firmware on a Digi TransPort router using FTP or SFTP to firmware earlier than 22.214.171.124
This article explains how to update to firmware versions earlier than 126.96.36.199 on a Digi TransPort or Sarian router using an FTP or SFTP client.
Updating the firmware by FTP or SFTP will allow any existing configuration files on the router to be retained.
1) Obtain the firmware zip file, which can be found at one of the following links depending on your model:
Digi TransPort firmware files
Sarian firmware files
It is very important that the correct firmware files are used for the model number being updated. If you attempt to load firmware designed for one model onto a different model the router may cease to function and will be difficult to recover.
To locate the correct firmware for your model, after clicking on a link above, select the subdirectory containing the version you wish to download (the newest version is recommended) then the subdirectory relating to your model. Select the zip file to download it.
2) Extract all of the files, from the downloaded zip archive, to a directory on your PC.
3) On your PC, rename the following two files as follows:
Rename the *.dwn file (the main firmware image) to image1 (with no extension)
Rename the *.rom file (the bootloader) to sbios1 (with no extension)
4) Using an FTP client program such as FileZilla (http://filezilla-project.org/), create an FTP connection to the router then copy all of the files except for the *.web file (and the gobi.zip file if present) from the directory of files on your PC to the router. (The web file (and the gobi.zip file if present) are transferred later to avoid the possibility of the router running out of flash memory during the update process). Please note that if using FileZilla you must go to Edit -> Settings -> Transfer and set the "Maximum Simultaneous transfers" to 1.
If your PC is running Windows, an alternative to using an FTP client program such as FileZilla is to open two Windows Explorer sessions: one pointing to the directory of files on your PC and the other pointing to 'ftp://[ip_address_of_TransPort_router]' e.g. ftp://192.168.1.1, after authentication then simply drag and drop files between the two windows. Please verify that all files were transferred to the TransPort. If you experience any problems using a client such as FileZilla, for example when transferring large files to the router, please try the alternative Windows Explorer method if possible.
5) Connect to the router's CLI (command line interface) via one of the following methods:
a) A Telnet or SSH session to the router's IP address
b) A terminal emulator session (for example using Hyperterminal or TeraTerm) to the router's ASY (serial) port
Issue the following command:
move sbios1 sbios <enter>
This will overwrite the old bootloader (sbios) file with the new one. Check that the CLI returns with 'OK'.
Issue the following command:
del *.web <enter>
This will delete any existing files that end with the '.web' extension.
Issue the following commands:
del image <enter>
ren image1 image <enter>
This will replace the currently running image with the new copy just uploaded.
6) Using FTP again as in step 4), copy the remaining files (that have not yet been transferred) from your PC to the router: the *.web file, and the gobi.zip file if present.
7) At the router's CLI once more, enter the following command to check the integrity of the firmware files:
Check that all files report as 'ok' and that the "image" and the "image4.cx" files report as 'ok, data ok'. If the "data ok" is missing or if there are any "bad crc" messages please retry loading by FTP or contact Digi technical support for assistance. DO NOT REBOOT.
8) If everything looks OK, enter the following CLI command:
Once the router has restarted, enter the following CLI command:
The CLI will return a lot of information about the router. The second and third lines will show the firmware image and bootloader version numbers. These can be used to check that the update process has been successful - for example:
Digi TransPort WR44-U4T1-WE1-XX Ser#:160601 HW Revision: 7902a
Software Build Ver5162. Aug 13 2012 05:12:25 SW
ARM Bios Ver 6.75 v39 400MHz B512-M512-F80-O0,0 MAC:00042d027359
Power Up Profile: 0